A New Adventure

For those of you that sent me concerned emails about whether or not I died in India, or asking about Kelsi’s well-being, thank you. Once I met up with Myles, my daily routine changed drastically. Whatever Internet I found, I used to contact Kelsi instead of writing travel updates. In the end, I utterly failed and the stories are too far gone to remember in detail now.
To sum up, it took 2 weeks before Kelsi sat on the floor of the Sri Lankan embassy, refusing to leave until her visa got approved. When it did, she flew back to India to meet Myles and I in Kollam after our tour of the backwaters.
She got off a tuk tuk at the docks to a man running towards her “Same face! Same face! Same face!” He yelled to her. “Come, I will bring you to your friends!” And he dragged a confused Kelsi to an empty dock to wait.
We had told a man two days earlier that we were waiting for a friend. “She looks like me” I said to him in passing. He held on to that idea and watched out for a girl with the “same face” as me all morning. What a guy!
From Kollam the three of us worked our way North. Gokarna, Palolem, Anjuna, all through Goa and eventually on to Mumbai. We missed half of what we wanted to, but had a great time! We spent most of our time on the coast, and managed to catch the Thrissur Pooram festival as well! (With similar experiences as Holi Festival, we came to the conclusion that festivals in India just aren’t made for blonde white girls).
Overall, our second month was a lot more positive than our first. Maybe it was our mindset, maybe it was the fact we had Myles with us, or maybe we just stopped caring about the stares. But by the time I left Mumbai I had a much more positive outlook on the country than my previous posts may suggest.
It was a teary goodbye for Kelsi and I in Mumbai.
“I’ll see you when the first one of us gets married” said Kels.
We both laughed sadly, knowing that would be eons away.
“Deal” I said.
And we went our separate ways.
Coming home from India was the biggest culture shock for me. I find I never really get culture shock GOING to places, but instead realize the changes when I get home.
My first day back I went for a walk with Adrienne after a stop at the vet with Cola. The vet had explained so sweetly how she cleaned Cola’s ears on top of the checkup just because. In my mind I was angry. “Great, how much is she ripping us off for that? Now she’s going to expect a big tip from us! Sorry lady, you did that on your own accord, I’m not paying you!” I was skeptical around everyone…
Later I couldn’t remember how to cross a street at a cross walk.
“What are you doing?” Adrienne asked as I stood anxiously on the sidewalk, looking every direction before darting across the road “It’s a crosswalk!”
It had been 5 months since I’d seen a crosswalk. The idea was so foreign to me.
Those were just two of a million little things I had to adjust to while I was back. 7 months later I still avoid crowds and I jump a little when someone I don’t know points a camera phone at me.
3 months after being home I got itchy feet again. Decide what I want to do in life? Or avoid Canadian winters and head south. The question is almost ridiculous.
So two days ago I hopped on a 37-hour journey to Australia. I am now sitting in the Daintree Rainforest in Cape Tribulation, hiding under a tarp from the torrential rain that has been bucketing for nearly 12 straight hours. Looks like I left the rain for more rain… At least it’s warm!
And thus begins my new adventure…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s